Glossary of Engine Terms
Air Filter System:
Removes particles such as dust, dirt and debris from the air and prevents it from getting into your engine.
- Advanced Debris Management System: Air cleaner system that pulls the air into the element, where large debris passes through ejection slots. Removes large dirt and debris particles for a longer lasting air cleaner element and superior engine protection.
- Automotive Style Air Cleaner with foam pre-cleaner (dual element): Provides added protection against airborne debris entering the engine.
- Dual-Clean™: Combination automotive-style paper filter and foam pre-cleaner for added protection against dirt and debris. Two levels against dirt to protect and improve engine durability.
- Cartridge Air Cleaner: Pleated paper filter element inserted in a cartridge that provides improved protection against airborne debris entering the engine. Efficient and easy to service.
- Integrated Cyclonic Air Cleaner: Filter that uses centrifugal forces to separate particles from the air. The air stream goes through a cylindrical filter, creating a high speed spiral. Due to the centrifugal force all the dust and dirt particles move against the filter's walls and fall down to the bottom where can be easily extracted. Very effective in case of large particles and demanding work conditions.
- Oil Bath Air Cleaner: Consists of an oil reservoir at the bottom of the cleaner and a foam filter at the top. Incoming air must follow multiple direction paths before coming into the engine. All these direction changes make the heaviest contaminated particles fall down into the oil due to the movement inertia. The lightest ones are trapped in the foam filter. The result is extremely clean air entering the engine.
- Oiled Foam Air Cleaner: Reusable and washable oil wet foam that traps dirt and debris from the incoming air. Simple and effective at the same time.
- Oval Dual Sealing: Larger filtering capacity with two sealing surfaces for maximum prevention of dirt ingestion. Allows more airflow for improved performance, while defending against direct ingestion for extended engine life.
- Paper Air Cleaner (Flat): Pleated paper filter element that provides improved protection against airborne debris entering the engine. Efficient and easy to service.
- Paper Air Cleaner (Oval): Pleated paper filter element that provides improved protection against airborne debris entering the engine. Efficient and easy to service.
Mechanical device that reduces the vibration caused by the reciprocating movements of the piston. Provide less vibration and smoother operation.
- AVS® (Anti-Vibration System): Patented linear balancing system eliminates side-to-side motion of traditional systems. Provide less vibration and smoother operation.
Component that separates moving parts to reduce friction and wear. Simple and reliable.
- Aluminum: Machined aluminum bearing surface.
- Dual Ball Bearings: Bearing type that uses small balls placed between two hardened metal surfaces. The balls maintain the separation between them, reducing frictions. Improved durability and superior load capacity.
Device that mixes air and fuel in the proper amount according to the engine speed and supplies the mixture to the engine cylinders.
- Dual Barrel: Carburetor system that incorporates two sets of air/petrol mixture flow. Provides exceptional load acceptance for greater engine balance.
- Float Feed Carburetor: Carburetor with a float and a needle placed in the small fuel reservoir in the chamber it draws fuel from. This system regulates the fuel height. Therefore regulates the mixture air/fuel that gets into the engine. Optimized fuel delivery for improved startability and superior performance.
Central working part of internal combustion engine. A piston moves up and down inside the cylinder creating the 4 strokes (intake, compression, power and exhaust).
- Dura-Bore™: Cast iron sleeve pressed into the aluminum cylinder of an engine. Added integrity and durability that withstand wear and abuse while providing improved oil control.
- Kool Bore™: Machined aluminum cylinder bore. Lightweight and corrosion resistant.
- Single Cylinder Engine: One cylinder configuration. Simple and reliable design.
- V-Twin Cylinder Engine: Two cylinders configuration where the cylinders are placed at a 45 degrees angle from each other to get a smoother and quieter operation.
Displacement (Cc/cube in.):
Volume inside the engine cylinder or volume of air / fuel mixture an engine can draw in during one complete engine cycle. Usually stated in cubic centimeters or cubic inches.
Emission Reducing Technology that reduces significantly the evaporative fuel emissions (permeation and venting emissions) when the equipment is not in use.
Electronic Fuel Injection System (EFI):
Alternative system to carburetor. When the air flows into the engine's cylinder the EFI system atomizes fuel through fuel injectors. It's controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that, depending on the operating conditions, determines the right fuel quantity and the timing to spray. Maximum fuel efficiency and improved engine's performance.
Filter inserted into fuel line that screens out dirt and debris from fuel supply.
- Std Fuel filter (75 micron): Fuel filter with metal screen element. Keeps small contaminants from clogging carburetor jets and passages.
Controls engine speed and prevents over-speeding by holding rpm at a constant speed, regardless of changes in the load. It maintains the engine running at the same speed even under heavy load.
- Mechanical Governor: This system uses gears and flyweights inside the crankcase to sense speed and detect changes in the load to adjust speed accordingly. It controls the throttle to allow the correct air-fuel mixture volume to get into the carburetor at any moment. Therefore it controls the engine speed to deliver more usable power under heavy usage.
High Oil Fill Tube:
Oil tube that provides easy access to check and fill oil in order to prevent over or under filling of oil. It's mounted to be accessible at the top of the engine.
Gross Power HP (Horsepower):
Measurement of an engine's rate of doing work over time. Power to get the work done.
Generates and controls the spark needed in the engine's cylinder for the combustion of fuel.
- Magnetron® Electronic Ignition System: Electronic ignition system generated by a rotating magnet placed in the flywheel and a coil assembly. Ensures dependable starts with no maintenance required.
A system that stores, cleans, cools, and re-circulates oil through the engine to lubricate and cool its moving parts. Prevents wear and friction.
- Full Pressure Lubrication with oil filter: Is similar to an automobile engine that continuously delivers oil under pressure to critical engine components for maximum lubrication and long engine life. A high-efficiency pump in the oil sump supplies lubricant to the crankshaft and connecting rod bearing surfaces.
- Pressure Lubrication with oil filter: Pressure lubrication provides a controlled flow of clean oil to bearings for less wear and longer engine life. A high-efficiency pump in the oil sump supplies lubricant to the crankshaft and connecting rod bearing surfaces The Pressure Lubrication System incorporates a premium spin-on oil filter.
- Splash Lubrication: In splash lubrication, a gear-driven dipper or slinger in the crankcase distributes oil to components, preventing clogging of small passages. On horizontal crankshaft engines, the dipper is attached to the connecting rod. It picks up oil from the reservoir and spreads it across bearing surfaces as the piston travels through the cylinder. On vertical crankshaft engines, a spinning gear with paddles is immersed in oil and slings lubricant throughout the crankcase.
Mechanical Compression Release:
Device that keeps a valve slightly opened during the compression stroke to release combustion chamber pressure during starting, which automatically returns to normal with the engine's centrifugal forces. Automatically reduces compression force to provide smooth, easy starts.
Designed to reduce noise, improve performance and resist corrosion.
- Lo-tone Muffler: Delivers low noise and good tonal quality.
- Super Lo-tone Muffler: Achieves quieter operation with better tonal quality.
- Performance Muffler: Significantly reduces noise and delivers exceptional tonal quality.
Oil Capacity (oz/ ml):
The recommended oil volume for holding, storing, or accommodating reserve oil.
Allows access to check and fill oil to prevent over or under filling of oil.
Reduced Evaporative Fuel Tank Cap (Carbon in Cap (CIC)):
Fuel tank cap that contains activated carbon. Carbon acts as an absorption media and reduces evaporative emissions from the fuel tank.
- Electric Start: Uses a battery powered motor to start the engine via a key, switch or button. Hassle-free starting. Just turn the key and go.
- Prime 'N Pull™ System: Requires priming to deliver fuel directly to start an engine. Delivers the right amount of fuel to the system for dependable starting.
- Ready Start® System: Automatically senses engine temperature to deliver the right amount of fuel to the carburetor. Does not require priming, or choking. Just pull for power.
- S2 Start Guarantee®: Our personal starting guarantee. If your engine does not start within the first two pulls we will repair it free of charge.
Stronger Forged Crankshaft and Cast Iron Camshaft:
Provide added durability.
Switch inserted into the fuel system that when turned, shuts off the engine ignition and fuel supply to carburetor. The engine is protected against fuel flowing into the crankcase during equipment transportation, ensuring reduced equipment downtime and lower maintenance costs
Gross Torque (Nm):
A measurement of force needed to cause an object to rotate. Power to get the work done.
Any of numerous mechanical devices by which the flow of liquid, gas, or loose material in bulk may be started, stopped, or regulated by movable parts that open, shut, or partially obstruct one or more ports or passageways.
- DOV® Technology (Direct Overhead Valve): OHV configuration with direct actuation of the valves through a unique lever system. It has fewer mowing parts, which reduces vibrations and wear. Patented new design that delivers more responsive power, less noise, and smoother operation.
- OHV Technology (Overhead Valve): Configuration with the inlet and exhaust valves located in the cylinder head above the pistons. Better optimized performance that runs cooler and cleaner for longer engine life and improved fuel economy.
- Side Valve: Configuration with both valves side by side within the cylinder block, typically parallel to the cylinder bore. Simple and reliable with less overall maintenance.
Total weight measurement of standard engine.