Preparing Your Home for Fall Storms
According to Eric Loferski, of Briggs & Stratton Products Group, there are a few safety measures that families need to follow when operating a portable generator:
- Have a working CO detector
- Only use portable generators outdoors, not in any partially enclosed or enclosed areas
- Keep them away from windows, doors, crawlspaces and overhangs
- Always read the manufacturer’s operating and maintenance instructions before operating
- Never add gasoline to a hot or running portable generator
In addition to preparing a household to safely restore power after a storm, the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA)Ready Campaign, offers a host of ways families can prepare their home for a storm such as:
- Cover all of the home's windows with pre-cut ply wood or hurricane shutters to protect windows from high winds.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Keep all trees and shrubs well-trimmed to reduce the risk of wind damage
- Further secure the home by closing shutters.
Following Isaac, many families may be inspired to take additional steps to prepare for the next storm. One option is to install an automatic standby generator system. Standby generators keep the power on when a home’s primary power source goes out, allowing homeowners to run appliances like air conditioners, heaters, refrigerators, clothes washers/dryers, and lights. That means there is less of a need for things like non-perishable foods or flashlights in the event of a power outage.
“An automatic standby generator is the most convenient way to keep your family safe and comfortable when a storm knocks out the power,” said Amanda Grandy of Briggs & Stratton Products Group. “It keeps the home powered so families can maintain a sense of normalcy as they cleanup after the storm occurs.”
Visit www.ready.gov for more tips on keeping your family safe during a storm.
View solutions for handling the most common engine and product troubleshooting and maintenance questions.
Learn about the latest products by Briggs & Stratton, step-by-step instructions on how to locate your lawn mower engine model number and more!