Portable Generator Safety & Usage Tips
Here are a few generator usage tips you should keep in mind:
- Wattage - Determine what appliances you will be able to run with the wattage guide.
- Testing - Perform a dry run of your generator to make sure you are familiar of how you will operate it during a power outage.
- Flashlight - Keep a flashlight handy to find your way to your generator.
- Location - Keep your generator conveniently located.
- Electric Start - If your generator is equipped with electric start, keep the battery charged.
- Lubrication - Run your generator occasionally to keep the engine well lubricated.
- Powering Your Generator - Keep an adequate supply of fresh gasoline and extension cords. Use fuel stabilizer if you plan on extended storage.
- Plugging In - Plug in appliances one at a time being careful not to overload the circuits.
- Cool After Use - Allow your generator to adequately cool-down before storing.
- Cover - Use a storage cover to keep the generator free of dirt and debris.
View solutions for handling the most common engine and product troubleshooting and maintenance questions.
Learn about the latest products by Briggs & Stratton, step-by-step instructions on how to locate your lawn mower engine model number, and more!