How to perform primer bulb replacement in a small engine?
A primer bulb is important because it is helps to fill the carburetor with the correct amount of fuel. It does this by pulling fuel through the fuel line.
You may need to fix or replace your primer bulb if:
- It is not creating proper suction
- It has a crack in it
- It is not creating pressure when you press it
- Press in from both sides of primer bulb cavity to release retainer tabs.
- Pry retainer out and remove bulb from primer seat groove.
- Remove primer seat using a crochet hook or other type of hook. The ball and spring will fall out. NOTE: Do not stretch, bend or compress primer spring.
- Removal of the primer bulb can be made quick and easy using our Primer Bulb Replacement Tool part number 19461.
- Place primer spring and ball in primer valve bore.
- Press primer seat into bore with groove on seat facing out.
- Insert primer bulb into retainer and moisten inside diameter of primer bulb.
- Press into primer cavity lining up locking tabs with locking slot in cavity.
- Press until both tabs are re-seated in locking slots.
- Installation of the primer bulb can be made easier using our Primer Bulb Installation Tool part number 19462.
WARNING: Always read the engine and equipment manual(s) before starting, operating, or servicing your engine or equipment to avoid personal injury or property damage. Fuel and its vapors are extremely flammable and explosive. Always handle fuel with extreme care.
See an authorized dealer if you are unsure of any procedure or have additional questions.