BRIGGS & STRATTON YOU.POWERED.™ CONTEST RECOGNIZES GOOD CITIZENS AND GOOD NEIGHBORS
MILWAUKEE, WI (July 6, 2016) – Briggs & Stratton Corporation’s (NYSE: BGG) YOU.POWERED. contest solicited dozens of stories of good neighbors and community members using outdoor power equipment to better a neighborhood, a community or an entire city. Of those, five winners were selected.
The contest, which began April 12, 2016, sought photos and stories from around the country that embodied the company’s YOU.POWERED. philosophy, a belief that outdoor power equipment is only as powerful as the people using it to make a living, make a difference or make their neighborhood a better place to live.
“The stories we heard as part of Briggs & Stratton’s YOU.POWERED. contest confirmed that there are a lot of people out there who don’t need to be asked to help. They see a need and go to work to help fix it,” said Steve Kruger, director of brand marketing at Briggs & Stratton. “The YOU.POWERED. contest winners come from big cities and small towns, and their stories range from major undertakings to personal missions – and each is equally inspiring.”
Each of the five winners listed below will receive $3,000 and a piece of Briggs & Stratton-powered outdoor power equipment so they can continue their efforts.
- Cleveland, OH – Project Evergreen: Volunteers with Project Evergreen help renovate green spaces nationwide. The YOU.POWERED. entry showcased them maintaining North Carolina parks, so neighborhood kids have a safe place to play and enjoy the outdoors.
- Detroit, MI – Tom Nardone, Member of the Detroit Mower Gang: Abandoned parks and playgrounds around Detroit are no match for Tom and the Detroit Mower gang. Together, their volunteer work has tidied up more than 20 playgrounds.
- Philadelphia, PA – Novick Family Urban Farm: Inner-city Philadelphia may seem like an odd spot for a farm, but Novick Family Urban Farm calls Philly home and grows healthy, local produce for refugees and low-income residents in the community.
- Morrisville, NC – Rachel Faulkner: Out of necessity, Rachel started mowing the lawn when her husband was diagnosed with cancer. Recognizing how much this simple but powerful act could help others, she took to mowing the lawns of other cancer patients too.
- Green Bay, WI – Tim: Tim is what we call a “Good Snowmaritan.” He’s the guy out snow-blowing his neighbor’s driveway and doesn’t expect a thing in return. In fact, if Tim had his way, he’d be done with the driveway before his neighbor even knew it was him doing the snow blowing. Fortunately, one of his neighbors writes for the local paper. He managed to catch Tim in the act and then wrote a nice article about good neighbors.
Additional inspirational YOU.POWERED. stories can be found at www.youpowered.com.
About Briggs & Stratton Corporation
Briggs & Stratton Corporation (NYSE: BGG), headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is focused on providing power to get work done and make people's lives better. Briggs & Stratton is the world’s largest producer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment. Its wholly owned subsidiaries include North America’s number one marketer of gas pressure washers, and it is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of power generation, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products through its Briggs & Stratton®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Snapper Pro®, Ferris®, Vanguard™, Allmand™, Billy Goat®, Murray®, Branco® and Victa® brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in over 100 countries on six continents. For additional information, please visit www.basco.com and www.briggsandstratton.com.