HOW TO STORE AND WINTERIZE OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT PROPERLY
Briggs & Stratton encourages operators to store equipment safely during winter months so it starts effortlessly in spring
MILWAUKEE, WI (November 9, 2017) – During the seasonal transition from fall to winter, yards become dormant for several months and yard work is reduced significantly. Briggs & Stratton Corporation reminds homeowners to prepare and store outdoor power equipment so it starts effortlessly in spring and helps ensure longevity of their equipment.
There are five essential winter storage steps to extend the life of a lawn mower:
1. Add fuel stabilizer
- Reduce the risk of buildup in the internal components by adding fuel stabilizer to the gas can every time you fill up at the start of the season. If you missed this past season, add the fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank and run the engine to circulate it through the carburetor.
2. Change the oil
- Extend the life of the engine by changing the oil and oil filter (if equipped).
3. Remove battery, if equipped
- Prevent corrosion by disconnecting the battery, cleaning the terminals and storing the battery in a cool, dry place.
4. Clean the undercarriage
- Keep your lawn mower running smoothly by cleaning with a pressure washer or garden hose to remove grass, dirt and debris from the lawn mower deck and blades.
5. Store your lawn mower in a cool, dry place
- Avoid moisture damage by storing your mower in a cool, dry shed or garage.
Pressure washer storage is similar to the steps we take for mower preparation. Repeat steps one and two, then flush and drain the machine to clean the detergent tank. Before storing, fill the machine with pump saver to prevent rust and freeze damage.
“We know end of the year schedules tend to get hectic, but we emphasize the value of equipment storage because it maintains your machines so they remain reliable and effective,” said Carissa Gingras, director of marketing for global support at Briggs & Stratton.
Before you spend time on the weekend preparing your equipment for the change in seasons, review the operator’s manual ahead of time and wear pants, closed-toe shoes, gloves and ear and eye protection.
About Briggs & Stratton Corporation:
Briggs & Stratton Corporation (NYSE: BGG), headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is focused on providing power to get work done and make people's lives better. Briggs & Stratton is the world’s largest producer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of power generation, pressure washers, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products through its Briggs & Stratton®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Ferris®, Vanguard®, Allmand™, Billy Goat®, Murray®, Branco® and Victa® brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in over 100 countries on six continents. For additional information, please visit www.basco.com and www.briggsandstratton.com.