Want to get the most out of your Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine? Practice regular engine maintenance to ensure a long engine lifespan. One component of good small engine maintenance is checking the engine oil level prior to each start. New small engines don’t often come with oil added. Be sure to add oil before firing up your lawn mower for the first time.
To begin, make sure your lawn mower, pressure washer, snow blower, or other outdoor power equipment is on a level surface.
- Locate the dipstick cap, usually in yellow or black and embossed with an oil indicator.
- Remove the dipstick cap by turning counter-clockwise and then wipe it down with a clean rag to ensure an accurate reading.
- Reinsert the dipstick by applying pressure and turning clockwise before removing it again and taking a reading. The oil level should be between the Full and Add indicators.
- If levels are low, add or change the lawn mower oil before checking the oil level again.
- Continue this process until your reading indicates Full.